Thursday, September 13, 2012

Daddy’s Got a New Pair of Shoes; Medal of Honor; What is That? Boats! A Petite Bigfoot?


Before leaving Laotto enroute Toronto, we got out for a short PT. Suzanne biked down country roads lined with corn fields, and I got to try out my new running shoes. I prefer New Balance shoes because of their quality control and the fact that they are made in the USA. The new shoes are pretty flashy for a “mature runner”, especially when compared to my old gray shoes... they are also a couple of ounces lighter. Maybe I can shave several minutes off my next race time...

At an Interstate rest stop, we saw this memorial to Private First Class DeWayne T. Williams, United States Marine Corps, who was killed in action in Vietnam in 1968 on his 19th birthday. He was posthumously awarded the nation’s highest combat medal, the Medal of Honor, for his valor and sacrifice. I was impressed that his memorial is being well cared for, probably by the local Marine Corps Reserve or a veterans group.  

We saw this strange device today. I’m not sure what it is supposed to do, but it is labeled “Phone”.... but I didn’t see a touch pad, ear buds, data screen, contact list, or MP3 player attached... 



Having arrived in Port Huron, Michigan, we set up camp in a very nice KOA. Suzanne got to work giving a phone reading, while the puppies and I recon’ed the ville. Port Huron sits at the very bottom of Lake Huron, with Sarnia, Ontario, across the waterway. 


There was a small marina that made me wistful about sailing. This trawler to the right of the flagpole looked pretty inviting. Unfortunately, Happy Hour wasn't on when I passed...



This ship, the Motor Vessel Paul R. Tregurtha, at 1,013 feet length overall, is the largest ship operating on the Great Lakes. Her nickname is “The Big Paul”, but she is also the current “Queen of the Lakes”. She hauls 50,000 to 60,000 tons of iron ore or coal up and down the Lakes. 

The bowsprit and “dolphin striker” on this very pretty 40 foot ketch are impressive; she is being kept “shipshape and Bristol fashion”.  Looking at her makes you want to pack your sea bag and head for the islands... 

There were several of these statues around town, installed by the Rotary Club. I suspect they are intended to encourage kids to pick up a book to read instead of watching TV. That is a very important lesson to teach both young and old! 

As we were walking back to the car, I heard this strange animal sound from above. It was apparently a little girl dressed up in an alligator suit. She did wave in return to my greeting... or could this be a three foot tall Urban Michigan Bigfoot?


No comments:

Post a Comment